About Astronaut programme
The UAE Astronaut Programme was initiated in April 2017 by HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, to prepare an Emirati astronaut corps for scientific space exploration missions, creating a culture of scientific endeavor and motivating the youth to pursue space science and technology.
In 2018, the first two Emirati astronauts, Hazzaa AlMansoori and Sultan AlNeyadi, were handpicked from over 4,000 applicants – and many more are destined to follow. With space heroes such as these, future generations of UAE scientists and engineers are now being inspired to make STEM subjects their focus and to build a career in this dynamic and exciting industry.
The UAE Astronaut Programme is one of the projects managed by the UAE’s National Space Programme and funded by the ICT Fund of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA), which aims to support research and development in the ICT sector in the UAE and promote the country’s integration on the global stage.
The UAE Astronaut Programme aims to prepare cadres of astronauts according to the highest international standards.
- Support the UAE’s vision of a prosperous future based on knowledge and scientific research
- Strengthen the UAE’s position in the international space sector by contributing to manned space missions.
- The UAE Astronaut Programme aims to develop national scientific corps and prepare a national team of astronauts.
- Encourage and inspire young generations to be successful in STEM subjects.
- Contribute to scientific exploration missions by developing a corps of Emirati astronauts.
- Promote a culture of research and passion for exploration and innovation.
Scientific Experiments and Research
Scientific research and experiments conducted on the First UAE Mission to the International Space Station
Hazzaa Ali AlMansoori
UAE astronaut, 35-year-old AlMansoori graduated from Khalifa bin Zayed Air College from where he made his way to become an F16 pilot. After 14 years experience in military aviation, AlMansoori made history as the first Emirati to be deployed on a space mission to the International Space Station on 25 September 2019.Know more
Sultan Saif AlNeyadi
UAE astronaut, 38-year-old AlNeyadi holds a PhD in Information Technology and a Masters degree of Information and Network Security from Griffith University. Previously a UAE military network security engineer, AlNeyadi is a member of the back-up team for the 2019 mission to ISS.Know more